Sunday, April 25, 2010

A Word About Costs and Other Things

I used to work with civil engineers and I have managed various projects for companies I've worked for over the years. I've estimated many projects. I tried to estimate the cost of materials for our treehouse and to economize where possible. One big cost that I did did not account for was decking screws.

A one pound box of coated decking screws costs seven to nine dollars. A five pound box costs around $28. I have probably spent at least $150 on screws alone and I'm not finished! You definitely need several sizes for different tasks. Half-inch lag screws, bolts and washers are expensive as are metal joist brackets, if you choose to use them.

I've bought several smaller drill bits used for pre-drilling pilot holes. These bits break easily, especially if you let your kids help you. Just buy a bunch and don't get on to the kids too harshly. It takes skill and sustained attention to drill dozens of pilot holes for floor boards, so either resign yourself to breaking several bits - or don't let your kids help you and lie about not breaking any yourself (kidding).

Measure twice, cut once.

Disregard if you're a skilled carpenter: If you need a board cut and one eight-foot board is just enough for three peices of whatever, buy the ten foot board. I've run just barely short a few times and wished I'd paid the extra $3 for the longer board.

No comments:

Post a Comment